Saturday, September 19, 2020

BIG PIG - Bonk 1988

 



This isn't a review as much as a short story of an album.

In the early 90's before I ever knew her, my future Mother-in-Law owned a New York City club called Beowulf. Loud music, booze, pinball machines and pool tables, a bar that stretched for miles all ruled by the leather-jacketed mother of my future bride. Among other things, Sonic Youth used the club to film their song 'Dirty Boots'.

I was in New Zealand, my yet to be wife Tracy was in New York and we began a long distance internet relationship.

In 1996, after typing to each other for a year, I was about to fly over to the US to meet Tracy and her family. Before I left I got an urgent request. Her mother had left one of her favourite albums in the back of the car, New York had a sunny day and the vinyl became lots of different shapes, but none of them were flat. It was an album by an Australian group, hard to find in the States, could I please try and track it down and bring a replacement with me.

I've mentioned my go-to record store in Auckland, Real Groovy. I headed into the city, scoured their racks and found what I needed.
'Bonk' by Big Pig.
I was flying over 9000 miles to meet the love of my life and my most precious cargo was an 8 year old album by an obscure (in NYC terms) Australian funk pop band.

Music really is universal.

The group Big Pig did lend itself to club music though. Their line-up was distinctive in that it consisted of lots and lots of percussion, drums, vocals and some harmonica, but no guitars so the songs were heavily beat-centric. The album was released in the US and tracks appeared in various soundtracks - 'Hungry Town' was used in "Miami Vice" and the movie "Young Einstein" while 'Breakaway' was featured in the opening of "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure".

Big Pig only released 2 albums, this one followed two years later by 'You Lucky People'.

If you feel like being one of those lucky people, start with 'Bonk'. 30 years on it's still worth a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment