Thursday, December 24, 2020

VINYL VAULT - Alternate Take 7

 


๐ŸŽถ✨๐ŸŽ„ The Best Christmas Song Ever ๐ŸŽถ✨๐ŸŽ„

THE POGUES - Fairytale of New York 1987

There are as many stories about this song as there are about Christmas itself. Various accounts of how and when it was written, who did what and when, but it's pretty much acknowledged that the main force behind it was Shane MacGowan. Originally written as a duet with Cait O'Riordan doing the female part, she didn't feature on the final release. That was mainly due to the band's split with producer Elvis Costello, who was in a relationship and later married Cait. After Elvis left, Cait followed.

Steve Lillywhite became the Pogues new producer and while working on 'Fairytale ...' with Shane doing both male and female parts, he was encouraged to take the track back to his home studio. He did that and had his wife, Kirsty MacColl do some vocals. When he brought his edited version back to the studio it was agreed that Kirsty should sing the female lead.

The lyrics of the song contain a few words and references that have caused controversy over the years, starting back as early as '92 when 'arse' and 'faggot' were first flagged as being inappropriate for some broadcasts. The conversation still goes on today, particularly with the word 'faggot'. There is an alternative version where Kirsty sings "you're cheap and you're haggard" and that has been more universally accepted on radio and TV stations.  

Regardless of the disputed lyrics, to me the best and most poignant verse comes just before the end of the song. It's an exchange between the two characters, following the harsh and hurtful insults thrown previously. There's tenderness and caring and pathos and regret - and whether that's the way it was meant is irrelevant - that's how it comes across to me and it brings a lump to my throat every single time I hear it.

"I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you"

Merry Christmas

Fairytale of New York

No comments:

Post a Comment