Monday, January 3, 2022

THE BAROQUE INEVITABLE - The Baroque Inevitable 1966



 Welcome to 2022

This is probably the least known album I've posted so far and yet it embodies the 60's more than any other album I've ever owned. There are 3 things that give it that distinction. 

Firstly, the cover. It is quintissential psychedelia, tapping into the colours and mind-expanding text and graphics of the times. In the bottom left corner of the album cover is a signature. Milton Glaser. Before you say "WHO"?" and dismiss this nugget of information, look at the other two examples of his work I've posted here. The year after this album was released came the 1967 compilation 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits' and inside was the stunning iconic portrait of Dylan by Milton. The value of this original album is increased if it includes this artwork. Unfortunately I only have the CD version. The other Milton Glaser poster I've included is from 1977 - designed in the back of a NY taxi and given to NYC for free. "I ❤️ NY" is one of his most recognizable pieces. 

Secondly, the producer. Well, to be fair the producer, arranger and conductor, John Simon. Once again there could be a collective sigh of "WHO?", but although you may not know the man, most people will know his work. He was producer for the Band's first two albums, the first Blood, Sweat & Tears LP, Big Brother & the Holding Company's 'Cheap Thrills' as well as working with Leonard Cohen, Manfred Mann, Cyrkle and Taj Mahal amongst others.

Thirdly, the choice of tracks. I wrote about this album briefly in a previous posting about Stevie Forbert and so I'm taking the easy way out and pasting it here ...

"... In 1968 on my way back to England from Australia I stopped over in Hong Kong for 2 days. I bought a pair of shoes, a shirt and a suit - all hand made virtually overnight. I also bought an album. It was perhaps the weirdest album I'd ever come across up to that time. It was a 1966 release by 'The Baroque Inevitable' and the front cover stated .. "Being a Recital of the Hits of the Day, Performed in the Baroque-Rockque Instrumental Style Popularized by Bach, The Beatles and Other Notables of the 17th through 20th Centuries, AD". It had 2 Dylan tracks on there, 'Rainy Day Women #12 & 35' and 'All I Really Want To Do'. That was enough to justify the purchase. The music was exactly what it said on the tin. Baroque style renditions of currently popular songs. It could have been so many things - a parody - a farce - a complete shambles - but in fact it was amazingly clever with great musicianship and unique arrangements ..."

Along with the Dylan tracks were others by not only The Beatles but The Troggs, Cyrkle, Frank Sinatra and Bobby Hebb. There's no way - you need to listen for yourself. Keep in mind, this was the mid 60's, psychedelia, flower power, herbal cigarettes. I'm sure there was more to the listening experience than just using your ears. Enjoy.

All I Really Want To Do

Sunny


No comments:

Post a Comment