Monday, February 7, 2022

DAVE MASON - Alone Together 1970

 



FOLLOW MY INSTAGRAM

This is Dave Masons debut solo album.

Even if you think you don't know Dave Mason, you do know Dave Mason. Cast your mind back to the sixties - back to his "on again off again" romance with 'Traffic'. He was responsible for writing their 1967 psychedelic anthem 'Hole In My Shoe' as well as the magnificent 1968 'Feelin' Alright' done well by Traffic themselves but put on the map by Joe Cocker.

His solo career wasn't stellar. He had a couple of minor singles hits, one from this album 'Only You Know and I Know' and then 'We Just Disagree' seven years later.

Playing this album all I can hear is Traffic, and even though Steve Winwood took most of their leads I get his vocal influence coming through. I'd expect it to be different. Leon Russell is in the mix along with Delaney and Bonnie. Dave's old bandmate Traffic drummer Jim Capaldi sat in and gets co-writing credit on one track.

It's not a dud album, in fact it's got variety and skill, but I can't get past the feeling that it's 'Traffic Light'. Ooh, see what I did there? That's clever !!

Only You Know and I Know

No comments:

Post a Comment