Monday, July 20, 2020

CURE - Standing on a Beach (compilation) 1986 - Galore (compilation) 1997



To quote the title of a Cure song, one compilation album is 'Never Enough'. To cover my favourites takes at least these two albums and I'm sure I could find more quite easily.

Robert Smith is the only member of the band who has been there constantly since day one in 1976. As the voice and definitely the 'face' of the Cure he certainly has a distinctive look. He claims to have been wearing makeup since he was young and despite the black clothing and giving the appearance of goth influence he has always said it is coincidental and that "it's so pitiful when 'Goth' is still tagged onto the name of The Cure".

He didn't start out as the vocalist. As a sometimes member of Malice he was a rhythm guitarist but as the group changed names (Easy Cure, Cure) and singers, Robert realised he could do better than them and reasoned "If I can get away with that, I can be the singer. I've worked on that basis ever since."

I've never followed The Cure in terms of their development - their growth from one album to the next, the progressive addition of different instruments and sounds with focus on Spanish or 6-string bass or acoustic riffs.
I've only ever cherry-picked the songs, taking from here and there, bouncing back and forth between old and newer, never really caring who made up the rest of the band, as long as Roberts voice was there.

No technical details, no anecdotes, no long drawn out history of the band. Just listen to them. Even non-fans will know at least one or two or more of their songs ..
'Love Cats', 'Fascination Street', 'Pictures of You', 'Friday I'm in Love', 'Why Can't I Be You', 'Boys Don't Cry' and my all-time favourite and ringtone on my phone - 'Close to Me'.


No comments:

Post a Comment