Friday, July 31, 2020

LORDE - Melodrama 2017




I can't remember exactly when I saw/heard Lorde. I do know it was before she became well known internationally - when 'Royals' was still just bubbling in the background. I remember looking for more of her music on YouTube and coming across her video clip for 'Tennis Court'. It was, and still is, an amazing clip. She was 16, not famous, putting out music for criticism or acclaim, and she opted for a minimalistic non-singing non-lipsynching one-shot video where the only word she mouths is 'Yeah' and the only change is the lighting. I thought it was, above all else, very brave. I've linked to that clip at the end of this post. It's worth a look.

Lorde's first album, 'Pure Heroine' came out in 2013. My immediate reaction was a mix of a young Kate Bush with a smattering of the electronics of Laurie Anderson, some slight synth-pop Pet Shop Boys-ness, but then after a few more listens it really was just all Lorde. It was different. I love 'difference' in music. It's refreshing.

Seeing her live was a bit of a shock. If you found Joe Cockers gestures uncomfortable or even painful, you could get the same reaction from Lorde. Just keep in mind, she literally dances to her own tune. She wrote the words and the music so I figure she can interpret them in her own way too. 

After 'Pure Heroine' there was a four year wait for this second album, 'Melodrama'.

In between there were the odd bits and pieces. A cover of Tears For Fears 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' from the 'Catching Fire' soundtrack. A cover of Sheryl Crows 'Are You Strong Enough to Be My Man?' singing with Haim, 'All Apologies' with the surviving members of Nirvana at their 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. Even doing Kanye's 'Hold My Liquor'. But nothing new until 2017. 

When 'Melodrama' came along the single used to promote it was 'Green Light'. To me, that's not the best track. It's a good track, it fits the albums concept, it works, but it's not my go-to.
The album is a progression from 'Pure Heroine' in a few ways. Production is up - it's more complex, perhaps even more electropop, certainly more personal (if that's possible). It came after a break-up with a boyfriend. Keep in mind, she was still only 20 when she wrote and recorded this, so it's young love, angst, but I'm sure to her as raw and real as it could be. 

My picks? In no particular order, 'The Louvre', 'Writer in the Dark' and 'Hard Feelings/Loveless'.

'The Louvre' has a hypnotic beat driven by the repetitious chorus lyric ..
"Megaphone to my chest
Broadcast the boom boom boom boom
And make 'em all dance to it".

'Writer in the Dark' is (IMHO) perhaps the most personal song, certainly it shows the most maturity in talking about her new-found fame and the lack of perceived support she gets from the (now) ex-boyfriend ..
"Stood on my chest and kept me down
Hated hearing my name on the lips of a crowd"

'Hard Feelings/Loveless' is a song of 2 halves. 'Hard Feelings' is about falling out of love. In amongst the lyrics though is a more down to earth line, 'I'm at Jungle City', which is a referencce to one of the five studios used to record the song. At the 4 minute mark, after some weird distorted synth there is a short cut from a Paul Simon documentary where he mentions a favourite tape. Then, as lead in to the 'Loveless' part of the song there's a sample of the Phil Collins drum solo from 'In The Air Tonight'. The words come in with a totally different style and content to the first part of the track. 'Loveless' becomes a throw away couldn't care less jingle that makes light of the pain and turns it back on itself. That's my thoughts anyway - what do I know, I'm an old codger !! I've added a link with the lyrics. Follow along.

Having said that about my 3 favourites, it's very easy just to play the album from start to finish, one track after the other and let it run it's course. It's a great listen.

I have no idea when or even if there will be a third Lorde album, or what direction it may take. Regardless, I'll be waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment