Saturday, June 6, 2020

BRUCE COCKBURN - Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws 1979




Bruce Cockburn is a Canadian singer/songwriter whose songs tend to follow human rights and political themes as well as his Christian beliefs.
Well known in Canada for years before breaking out, this album and it's single release track 'Wondering Where the Lions Are' brought him his only US Top 40 hit.

I was in New Zealand in 1980 when that song got limited airplay. One hearing was enough to know I had to have it. In the 40 years since, I don't think I've ever played the whole album in it's entirety in one sitting. Individually I've listened to tracks and enjoyed them .. great guitar work, nice voice .. but I will always go back to Side B Track 2.
One reviewer wrote .. "This album is the gentler side of Bruce Cockburn, beautiful and searching, with his acoustic guitar once again at the forefront; his intricate, yet melodic patterns the perfect backdrop for his poetic ruminations on spirituality and nature."
Whatever. I love it for one song.
'Wondering Where the Lions Are' is on my list of 'perfect songs'.

I have an extra bit stuck on the cover of my album - a 40 year old photo of my then 2 year old daughter. Shortly after buying the album I took her to the Auckland Zoo where they had a dragon - and she was 'Dancing in the Dragons Jaws'.

No comments:

Post a Comment