Sunday, June 7, 2020

TANITA TIKARAM - Ancient Heart 1988




In 1988 I was living and working in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea, so there's no way I bought this album, or even heard it, when it first came out.
It must have been 1990 before it got added to the collection, followed by her next three 'The Sweet Keeper' 'Everybody's Angel' and 'Eleven Kinds of Loneliness'

As a debut album, this was a very solid piece of work. Four singles were released from it .. 'Good Tradition' ' Twist in my Sobriety' ' Cathedral Song' and 'World Outside Your Window'.
Unfortunately her follow up albums got progressively less commercial success and 'Eleven .. ' didn't even chart.

All that takes nothing away from just how good 'Ancient Heart' is. Released when Tanita was just 19 the album is built on music and lyrics that come from a much older soul. To me there are traces of Toni Childs in her tone and delivery. Maybe I'll talk about Toni Childs sometime, and her excellent 'Union' album which was also released in 1988.

For now, as an introduction to Tanita if you're not familiar, try 'Twist in my Sobriety' in the following link.

No comments:

Post a Comment