Sunday, June 7, 2020

PETER GABRIEL - Shaking the Tree 1990 (Compilation)




Peter Gabriel has a great body of work and although so called greatest hits albums never are, this compilation almost goes the distance. For me, ANYTHING that has 'Solsbury Hill' is a winner. This album also has things like 'Sledgehammer', 'Games Without Frontiers', 'Shock the Monkey' and the list goes on.
Most of us know Peter's history - lead singer with Genesis until 1975 - his first 4 solo albums were all called 'Peter Gabriel' (sometimes known as Car, Scratch, Melt and Security) and his 5th album 'So' is still his most successful.

HOWEVER !!!

As good as this album is, I'm here to talk about a video of a live concert that contains most of these songs. 'Secret World Live' was recorded 16–17 November 1993 in Modena, Italy.
If you see the video anywhere, buy it. Buy 2, or 3 of it, it is that good !!
I have a copy in 5.1 surround sound and it is mind-meltingly amazing.

I'm including a clip after this post. Although my all-time favourite 'perfect' Gabriel song is 'Solsbury Hill' the clip I'm linking to is the concert version of 'Shaking the Tree' featuring the amazing Paula Cole on vocals. This tour really was a big thing for her. It was another 3 years before she released her debut single 'Where Have All the Cowboys Gone'.

I have never seen musicians having so much unbridled pleasure performing their music.
It is infectious and joyous and I wish I'd been there. 

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment