Sunday, June 7, 2020

HAIR - Cast Recording 1968




'Hair' had an off-Broadway debut in 1967. I finally got to see it live in early 1971. Like the main character, Claude, I was being conscripted during the Viet-Nam war. A friend and I went down to Sydney 2 weeks before I was due to go into the Australian Army. We stayed in a seedy hotel in Kings Cross and went to the Metro Theatre twice in 2 nights to see the show before all MY hair was shaved off !!

I was the real deal back then .. long hair, peace symbol around my neck, 21 years old and clueless !! What a difference a few weeks makes.

The Broadway Cast recording of the musical however has stayed with me ever since. Putting aside the commercial songs that everybody knows .. 'Hair', 'Good Morning Starshine' 'Aquarius' etc .. one of my favourite tracks is 'Three-five-zero-zero'

No comments:

Post a Comment