Thursday, June 11, 2020

SONNY TERRY & BROWNIE McGHEE - Hootin' 1981



 



Todays entry took a bit more work. I wanted to link to one of the tracks but couldn't find anything online, so figured it was time to digitize the whole album. Grabbed it on the laptop, edited it on the desktop, filed it in the digital library. Job's a good'un.

I have quite a few Sonny & Brownie albums, but all originally on CDs. This is the only vinyl I have and it has my favourite version of Leadbelly's 'Rock Island Line', also a great instrumental rendition of 'The Rider' (adaptation of C.C.Rider).

I honestly can't remember when I first got to know Sonny & Brownie. Probably when I was collecting a monthly Blues magazine back in the day.
Although I've now got a large and varied collection of blues artists I'm certainly no expert on all the different blues styles - Chicago Blues, Memphis Blues, Texas Blues, Delta Blues .. the list goes on. Sonny & Brownie play predominantly Piedmont Blues. I've got a great album by Keb Mo' who carries on the style and believe it or not, Arlo Guthrie used a Piedmont blues backing for the 'Alice's Restaurant' monologues.

Sonny lost his sight in two separate accidents, one when he was 5 and the other when he was 16. His father played the harp (harmonica) and taught Sonny to play so he could earn money busking.
Brownie contracted polio when he was about 4 years old which permanently affected his right leg. When he was able to walk again he played guitar with his fathers group The Golden Voices Gospel Quartet.

It's worth doing a 'Google' on these guys to see the connections they made and the roads they followed.
Sonny died in 1986 aged 74, Brownie passed in 1996 aged 80.

Sonny's distinctive 'whoopin' and Brownie's finger-picking are still a joy to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment